Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Flip Video and Battery Pack Charging

I just got a new Flip Ultra HD, and it is a pretty nice piece of technology, small size, HD resolution, 2 hrs of video and it supports both a rechargable battery pack as well as being able to use AA batteries. In general, I am very happy with my new Flip (http://theflip.com/).

 
I have been having a specific problem though, and it is related to charging the Flip via it's USB connector.  Typically when I have gone to charge the Flip, I often get an error message stating
"Charging has been paused, please check battery pack".
This is very frustrating, and reduces my confidence in the product.  I contacted technical support and they responded with the following:

If your battery pack is not charging properly, please try the following:
  1. remove the battery pack from the camcorder
  2. connect the camcorder to a powered USB port on your computer
  3. when the "Connected" indicator comes on, insert the battery pack into the camcorder
  4. safe eject your camcorder from your computer
  5. reconnect your camcorder to your computer
  6. the battery pack should now begin to charge within the camcorder

 So I tried this and it seems to resolve the issue on my Dell laptop, however the issue periodically persists on my Mac Mini. 
 
I contacted Tech Support again and they are suggesting that the Flip needs to be replaced and has sent an RMA.  I have hesitated to complete that request for a few reasons, I want to confirm that they will be sending a new Flip and not a refurbished one and I want to try a few more tests to make sure it is not some other random problem with other devices connected to the USB that are consuming too much power, causing the charge not to happen.
 
Stay tuned
 

 

 

 

3 comments:

Zuke said...

Curious how the testing has come with your Flip Video. I just purchased a Ultra HD (yesterday) and got the connection issues when using a USB extension cable. Directly to the comp or USB hub working fine (for now). Anyway just wanted to see what your experience has been thus far with it.

-Chris

Bob said...

So it's been 3 months, what have you learned? I bought one and loved it so much I bought 2 more the next day!
That was a week ago. I was recording with the light off and no USB at first until I started reading about overheating problems. Blinking Red lights, chirping, weird icons. I was seeing none of that but the screen was face down and the red light never came on. First I turned the record light on and sure enough while charging I got the blinking red light. Overheating. All three! How can they all be defective. I think you have to remove it when charged or it will overheat. Am I correct, or are all 3 defective?

Unknown said...

For such a great product ... the charging really sucks.

I have taken to using AA batteries with it for the most part.

I do believe that it will charge over time, its just that it is frustrating that it should just work.

Unfortunately, I have no good news on this topic.

Tim