Friday, August 28, 2009

Snow Leopard is out and why I'm choosing to upgrade

Apple's Lastest Version of Mac OS X (10.6), known as Snow Leopard, releases today.

I don't know how soon I'll upgrade, but at $29, I will definitely be upgrading.  As with any upgrade, you should make sure you are getting your moneys worth.

With a $29 price tag, that should be pretty easy, but the four features for me that I am looking forward to (and using to justify the $29) are:
  • 64-Bit and Grand Central Multiprocessing ... This provides what apparently is a significant performance boost.  Since my Mac Mini is over 2 years old, any performance boost is a welcomed addition.
  • Quick Time X.  This update to quicktime has a few nicities that will make dealing with video clips easier.  With my new Flip camera and every cell phone and digital still camera able to take video clips, the ability to quickly trim and share these right from Quick Time without pulling up iMovie will be a benefit.  Also, Quick Time X has a feature that allows you to record your screen (screencast) without using third party apps.  
  • Built-in Cisco VPN support.  A nice features that eases the use of a Mac in todays business environment, wether it is just for logging in using my home Mac, or perhaps helping with the introduction of Macs for work, we will see.
  • Exchange Support.  Like the Cisco support, this is a push at helping to integrate the Mac into thw workplace.  Even though I won't be taking my Mini to work, this is a feature that I desire for the future, so I'll chip in a bit now.

No comments: